15 Ways People Get Ahead In Life
1. They know where they’d like to go, even if they’re not quite there yet. You need some vision and it needs to be something you believe in.
2. They make connections because it’s all about who you know. The more experiences you have or references you can get the better.
3. They learn to do more for less. Sometimes you will have to go through tough jobs and small paychecks, but its another step on the ladder. You can’t get to the top without those experiences.
4. They respect those who are above them. This I have found to be one of the most important ways to ensure your own success.
5. They take care of themselves– it’s an absolute must. You need to be able to function well. You will crash and burn if you aren’t consistently aware of your physical and mental well being.
6. They are damn good at what they do, and do it for fun, not for money. That’s where real success comes from. Doing things because you love them.
7. They don’t forget about other parts of their lives. You’re not a workhorse.
8. They are responsible. They save money. They are aware of the image they portray. In this new age social media craze the separation between work and personal gets diminishes greatly as your co-workers follow you on Twitter, etc. Accept that for what it is and handle it responsibly.
9. They make a to do list and cross things off each day. Treat every little success as a victory.
10. They let setbacks be part of the journey. Failure is just going to come with the territory. Learn to see it as something that is an integral part of understanding what works and what doesn’t.
11. They learn from criticism. Even when people are nasty, consider if they have something valid to say, even if its not put gracefully.
12. They work their asses off. You can take shortcuts and bullshit your way, but you will not achieve great success until you really work for it.
13. They are honest and real. You will be in more trouble for lying about something you did than admitting to it and apologizing. Learn to be big.
14. They bring people up with them, not push them down to get past them. This is a nasty habit and while sometimes tempting, it will come back for your benefit in the end.
15. They know when to take advice and when to go their own way. People usually mean well. They mean to tell you things that they wish they had known– kind of like what I’m doing right now. But if it doesn’t work for you, learn to smile, say thank you and figure it out for yourself