7 Tips to Make Monday Your Favorite Day of the Week
Monday can, in fact, not suck. Monday can be amazing. It can be stress-free, productive without causing hair loss, and, believe it or not, you can actually look forward to it.
Here are seven tips to spice up my Monday and make it far from dreadful. These apply to everyone — whether you’re working from home or going into the office, or maybe doing the daily routine of housework and kids.
1. Do something weekend-ish today. Go to happy hour, meet a friend (you don’t work with) for lunch, have game night, go on a date or go to a fun event like a movie or festival. Our brains get in extreme Monday mode and we overdo our efforts to get “caught up” and be super efficient. On Monday, do something you would normally reserve for weekends. Your Monday brain may go into shock, but you’ll be proud.
2. Wear something new or dress up. I know you’ve heard that dressing for the role will help you perform better and I hope you believe it. It’ll make you feel ready for Monday and excited to start the week.
3. Eat something different. At times, our dissatisfaction comes from our monotonous patterns. Guess what? You’re the owner of your life and if you want something to change, you need to make it happen. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or a snack at work, treat yourself to something brand new. Make it exotic, tasty and satisfying. I like to mix in guavas, sesame toasted seaweed, and even homemade hummus! These are the small things that get you moving through the day with a smile on your face.
4. Don’t scramble, just recoup. Monday snooze session. Monday traffic jam. Monday office drama. Monday to-do list that’s unbelievably sky high. Monday emails. Yup, I know what all of that looks like. Rather than trying to do everything on Monday, organize and prioritize. Sort your emails and projects by level of importance. Plan out what you can do the next day and for the rest of the week. We’re not “backed up” from the weekend. Weekend is off time! You are allowed to re-assign stuff, even if it’s to yourself. The quality of your work will improve, and your sanity will remain intact. BAM.
5. Change up the music selection. Create a brand new Pandora station or listen to your favorite song from 10 years ago. Again, these little pick me ups make all the difference. If you’ve never listened to music while you work, try it out. It’s not for everyone, but it might work.
6. Add a picture to your workspace. Print a pic from your phone, pick up a frame and stick it on your desk. It could be your spouse, your pet or your favorite place you’ve visited. Let your eyes fall on the things that you know make you happy. Change them up every now and then. This one is golden, trust me.
7. Smile and show thanks. This is something we should do no matter where we are. Remind yourself of your opportunities and show appreciation to anyone who has helped you get there, including yourself! Maybe bring in some candy or treats for the people you work with. Get the positive juices flowing and remember, karma is a real thing.
“Monday” isn’t the same day for everyone. Maybe it’s not the same day each week. Maybe it’s just the day you have meetings or appointments. Either way, make it awesome. You deserve to feel happy, grateful and light every day.
Photo via cowbird.com